So You Want to be a Real Estate Agent?
Think about why you want to be a real estate agent. If you are not sure then please take a few moments now and write out your list on paper before reading further.
Hopefully some of the reasons you want to become a real estate agent include:
– Being around people
– Enjoy customer service
– Get satisfaction out of helping others
– Enjoy looking at homes
– Like being outside and getting to know my area
Some of your reasons could/should fit more into the general category of why you want to become an entrepreneur. Such as:
– Want to be your own boss
– Love to build something
– Flexible hours
– Earning potential based on your own efforts
However, if your reasons:
– Are only in the first section then PLEASE understand that as a real estate agent you are your own boss. Your income will be based on your drive, efforts and productivity.
– Fit primarily in the entrepreneur section then you likely have some more thinking to do to see if this path is right for you. Real Estate is definitely for a “people” person.
– If your reasons are in both section above then great! You are on the right track.
Being a real estate agent is essentially having your own business. It’s also and more importantly about PEOPLE. Without people you will not have a business.
You are in control of your business and here are some other things to consider before becoming a real estate agent:
– Can you talk to strangers? You’ll have to be able to strike up conversations with people you don’t know to try and get their business. This can be a learned skill but your willingness has to be there first.
– How thick is your skin? Please understand that your friends may decide not to use you as their real estate agent for a variety of reasons.
– The more organized you are the more efficiently you can work. Efficiency is valuable because it’s your income generating time that you’ll be wasting while you are trying to find something in a pile.
– Can you operate on a tight budget? Agents are commission based and you need to have a good understanding of your living expenses and how much you need to live on and then budget accordingly. Check out Dave Ramsey’s Financial Peace University. My wife and I took his course and it’s profoundly changed how we live.
– Are you a good communicator? Your clients will expect you to communicate with them so be great at it and your business will grow.
There are many types of people out there selling real estate and making good money at it. There is not a certain personality type that makes the best agent. So if you have the drive to become a real estate agent it should not matter what people say about certain traits of a successful agent or if your reasons to becoming an agent were not listed above. Your desire, passion and drive will make you a great real estate agent.
Also, please check out my post 10 Things to do Before Starting a Real Estate Career. It may also help in your decision making.